Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL) Senate District (SD) 53
The committee charge was to recommend a process to “support” or “endorse” candidates for local elected offices (e.g. City Council, Mayor, County offices, and school boards).
ADOPTED BY DFL SD 53 CENTRAL COMMITTEE
NOTE: The background is provided for information only and is NOT part of the policy.
The process for endorsement(s) in legislative races is already spelled out in existing DFL SD 53 documents and these recommendations do NOT change those processes.
Only the City of Landfall and the City of Woodbury have elected offices that are totally within the current geographic boundaries of SD 53. (These cities have no primary.
Other local offices such as school boards (elections are held in odd-numbered or even-numbered years depending on the school district) and county offices (elections are held in even-numbered years) although partially located in SD 53 are geographically located in more than one SD. (Filings for County races or school board races with a primary [held only when there are more than two candidates for a single office close June 2 in 2021) In 2021 the primary election will be on August 10 and the general election will be on November 2.
To authorize the DFL SD 53 Central Committee members residing within the geographic boundaries of the City of Woodbury or Landfall to endorse candidates who seek DFL support for Mayor or City Council provided:
- The endorsement will require a quorum (a majority of the eligible voters) and a 60% affirmative vote of the voters present and voting (including blanks and abstentions) and every ballot (including blanks and abstentions) is a test of the quorum.
- Endorsements can be equal to or less than the number of positions to be elected but cannot be greater than the number of positions to be elected.
DFL SD 53 uses a process of “Letter of Support” to indicate preferences for local candidates who seek DFL support where the geographic boundaries of the position are partially within SD 53. If, however, the geography of the position includes geography in another Senate District (s) or organizing unit the candidate must secure a “ Letter of Support” from the additional Senate District(s) where the geographic boundary for the race falls. Only DFL SD 53 Central Committee members residing within the geographic boundaries of the electoral area are eligible to vote.
Candidates seeking endorsement or a “ Letter of Support” should:
- The “ Letter of Support” will require a quorum (a majority of the eligible voters) and a 60% affirmative vote of the voters present and voting (including blanks and abstentions) and every ballot (including blanks and abstentions) is a test of the quorum. To be valid at least three Central Committee members who reside within the electoral jurisdiction must vote on the Letter of Support.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to seek the “Letter of Support” from DFL SD 53 and other relevant DFL SDs or organizing units if applicable.
- Be given the opportunity to appear in person before the DFL SD 53 Central Committee
- Appear at the next Central Committee after their request and after filings close
- Have the opportunity to provide written materials
- Be allowed to speak to the Central Committee for three minutes and respond to questions with answers limited to one minute
- Receive a formal letter from the Chair (or designee) of DFL SD 53 Central Committee outlining the action taken by the appropriate voting members of the Central Committee
- Be copied on a letter from the DFL SD 53 Chair(or designee) sent to the State DFL when an endorsement or a “Letter of Support” is adopted.
- A “Letter of Support” is NOT an Official DFL endorsement but only those candidates receiving a “Letter of Support” from all relevant organizing units or Senate Districts may advertise that they have received the letter and may purchase access to the DFL Voter File.
- Understand “Letters of Support” can be equal to or less than the number of positions to be elected but cannot be greater than the number of positions to be elected.
A screening committee of three to five Central Committee members should be established to meet with individual candidates seeking endorsement or “Letters of Support” for the purpose of determining a candidates level of support for the DFL and the screening committee will report their findings to the Central Committee prior to any votes on endorsements or “Letters of Support”.
The screening committee should contact ALL candidates who have filed to advise them of the opportunity to participate in this process.
The following DFLSenate Districts be notified by letter that this “Letter of Support” policy has been adopted by DFL SD 53: SD 39, SD 43, SD 52, SD 54, and SD 67. In addition, the Ramsey County DFL and City of Maplewood DFL should also be notified. (See recommendation 2)
Publicity about these processes could be shared via DFL SD 53 website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Woodbury Newsletter to residents, Pioneer Press and Star Tribune neighborhood sections, and a handout for candidates.
 See Constitution of SD 53 Article III, Section 2 and Article VI Section 3.
 This provision was adopted by the DFL State Central Committee at their December 2020 meeting.
 Mailing lists will become more important with the discontinuance of the Woodbury Bulletin. Requires written notice to the DFL.